Monday, July 23, 2012

Home at last

Although Michigan has been my home away from home since April 10, I was looking forward to sleeping in my own bed :-)  Ajay has done well with the drive home, and actually clapped when I turned into the driveway. His smile was priceless.

Since arriving, he has been vomiting again and rather frequently. Every few minutes and then every 30 min. I couldn't figure it out and felt so bad. He has had less episodes in the hospital and wondered why he was vomiting again. Only this time, I knew it was different. I didn't know how or why but it was different.

I checked over the zillion meds he's on, and looked thoroughly at dose, solution, etc. And there it was. One of the meds we were giving him in the hospital was diluted in his feeds, only to see that it was not written like that on the bottle. I called the pharmacy and she phoned the hospital and got it straightened out. Only then to find the vomiting wasn't ceasing. The only other thing I noticed was the antibiotic was changed the day we left the hospital. He got cellulitis around his gtube site on Tuesday and was taking an antibiotic. On Wednesday he received 4 vaccinations, which the site of injection became infected as well. So they changed the antibiotic from one to another so Ajay wouldn't have to take 2 more meds.

I phoned my pharmacist on Sunday and she immediately called me back to say she thought it was indeed the antibiotic making him sick. Unfortunately the half life of this particular drug is quite lengthy, and would take a other 2 days to get out of his system. I was able to get him some anti nausea medication, but it only helped for an hour. Then he went right back to wretching and vomiting.

Its Monday 430 am, and have since stopped antibiotic and Ajay has stopped wretching/vomiting. I'm pretty confident he will just need a day or two to recover.

1 comment:

  1. Bless him...to be so happy to be home and then to be so sick! You are definitely a Dr. Mom to be able to figure out all those meds...I guess you have got lots of experience now and you know your little man better than any doctor!
    So thankful yall are home...we will continue to pray for Ajay as he recovers and gets a new normal at home! Praying for all of you...

    ReplyDelete